VI International Seminar “Lithium in South America”
In Catamarca province, on June 6 & 7 of this year, PANORAMA MINERO will host the VI International Seminar “Lithium in South America”. There are several reasons to attend this renowned seminar:
- Argentina, Chile and Bolivia host over 75% of the world lithium resources
- Salt mines in the Andean region emerged as the main source for lithium carbonate production
- Lithium demand has grown rapidly over the past years thanks to the application of this metal to various technology solutions (batteries, computers, smart phones, iPads and other electronic devices)
- A large portion of the force in the demand lies in the so-called EVs (Electric Vehicles), where big actors such as Tesla, Foxconn, LG Chem, BYD, Boston Power are creating a phenomenon that is headed to break all industry standards: battery mega-factories. A Goldman Sachs Group report points out that lithium demand could triple by 2025 to 570,000 tons, as a result of its technological applications and electric cars.
- One of the reasons pushing the surge in lithium carbonate price is the likelihood that future supply of this metal may be restricted on account of particular interests, including political, capital-related, technical and environmental, as well as the possibility that projects might be halted or decelerated until their final start up.
- According to the USGS –United States Geological Survey- Argentina was the country that recorded the largest interannual growth, adding 17% to the modest increases of other actors, including Australia and Chile. Global lithium production reached 32,500 tons in 2015, as compared with 31,000 tons in 2014, representing 5% growth.
- Access to lithium supply has turned into a priority for technology industries in USA and Asia. Accordingly, the creation of strategic alliances and joint ventures by technology and exploration companies is an already consolidated trend that ensures diversified and actual lithium supply to battery providers and vehicle manufacturers.
For more information, please click on the following link: http://litioensudamerica.com.ar/